I highly recommend Miriel’s recipe for these stuffed vine leaves. I never really tasted fresh homemade ones and I can honestly say, they do not compare to the ones from the supermarkets. These were AMAZING!! The only issue is that they take a bit more time to make (unless there are 2-3 of you helping out).
Makes 20 vine leaves
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 packet of mint
- 50g of fresh spinach
- 130g of uncooked long grain rice
- 80ml of lemon juice
- 50ml of olive oil
- 1 tsp of salt
- Vine leaves
- 2 potatoes
- Dice the tomato and chop the onion, mint and spinach quite finely, then mix it all together in a bowl.
- Add the rice, lemon juice, salt and olive oil to the rest of the ingredients,
- Peel the poatoes into 1-2cm thick slices and place them evenly on the bottom of a saucepan.
- Take the rice mix and place in sieve over a bowl, press down to squeeze out all the liquid (keep it !!)
- Take a vine leave and place it on a hard surface, take 1 – 2 tsp of the rice mix and place it in the centre near the bottom of the vine leave (see first image).
- Roll the rice mix in the leaf away from you and tuck the sides under the middle so that the mix can’t leak out whilst cooking.
- Place all the stuffed vine leaves in the saucepan and then place a flat plate over the top to avoid them from floating.
- Pour the liquid that was collected before and water until the plate is covered.
- Cook in a medium heat for 40-50 mins.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and drain the vine leaves. Leave them to cool before placing them in the fridge.
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)