The city of Montreux renowned for it’s iconic Music festival, The Montreux Jazz Festival and its annual Christmas Market, actually offers a whole lot more than that. Settled at the foot of the Rochers de Naye and on the shore of Lake Geneva or as we call it the Lac Léman, Montreux has a very mild climate which makes it ideal for palm trees, giving an exotic vibe to the town. Summer, like in Winter, Montreux attracts tourists and locals alike due to its cultural offerings. If you are stopping by this Winter, I am going to share my favourite things to do in Montreux this Winter.
1. Montreux Christmas MarketThe Montreux Christmas Market is on from 22nd November – 24th December 2018. There are plenty of things to do for families and adults alike. Bring the kids to Santa’s Village or to the Chillon Castle for fun activities. Decide between red or while mulled wine as you discover various Christmas stalls where you can pick up some beautiful presents. Finding somewhere to eat is a tough choice, there are so many options ! Enjoy a delicious moitié-moitié fondue at Chalet Heidi, a Flammenküche, or oysters at the Rouvenaz‘s Oyster and Champagne bar (my personal favourite). http://montreuxnoel.com Opening Hours
Artisans & Merchants Monday – Tuesday 11a.m. – 8p.m. Wednesday – Thursday 11a.m. – 9p.m. Friday 11a.m. – 10p.m. Saturday 10a.m. – 10p.m. Sunday 10a.m. – 8p.m.
Food & Beverage Monday- Tuesday 11a.m. – 10p.m. Wednesday-Thursday 11a.m. – 11p.m. Friday 11a.m. – 11p.m. Saturday 10a.m. – 11p.m. Sunday 10a.m. – 10p.m
2. Ice Skating in Caux
Chemin de la Glacière 9, 1824 Caux
021 963 63 80
3. Fondue with a view at Coucou MontreuxMake your way up the mountain to Caux, a little village overlooking all of Montreux and Lake Geneva. The Coucou Montreux resembles a traditional Swiss Chalet from the outside and the inside. Here, you can enjoy traditional Swiss dishes such as the Papet Vaudois, Alpine Macaroni or my ultimate winter favourites, Cheese Fondue with Truffles and Champagne! (It is literally mouthwatering…) Click here to view the full menu.
4. Magical Train Ride on the Panoramic GoldenPassLet our beautiful Alps blow you away as you wind in and out through our Winter Wonderland. Grab the panoramic train from Montreux in direction of Gstaad for the most impressive scenery. Once in Gstaad, enjoying wandering around this enchanting city before heading back to Montreux. If you enjoy skiing or snowboarding then don’t forget to bring them along as there are many ski resorts surrounding Gstaad.
5. Cocktails & Live Music in Funky Claude’s barSit back and relax with one of the numerous delicious cocktails executed by world-class bartenders and let the various musical performances entertain you and your crowd all through the night.
6. Enjoy a panoramic view from the top of the Dent de JamanI love going up to the Dent de Jaman ! You can see a panoramic view of all of the Riviera from up there. The walk up is absolutely beautiful but I advise you check the weather conditions first as the road up is a little steep and I would avoid extreme icy conditions. You can only get up here by car ! There are no trains or buses. As an alternative, you can take the www.sbb.ch to go to the Rochers de Naye. However, I think it is ridiculous to pay CHF 70.- for a train ride which lasts less than 50 mins each way.
7. Artisanal Hot Chocolate at C-ChocolatThis tea-room is notorious for its artisanal hot chocolates or delicious teas! C-Chocolat is located on the main street or “Grand-Rue” as we know it, making it easily accessible to everyone. They also have various pastries and sandwiches if you are hungry for more.
c’Chocolat+41 021 525 89 59
Grand rue 64 1820 Montreux
Monday : 12:30 – 18:30
Tuesday – Friday : 09:00 – 18:30
Saturday – Sunday : 09:30 – 18:00
8. Les Avants Sledging RunBefore you turn your nose up and say that this is a children’s activity, just imagine a 2.5km road covered in snow and all you need is a sledge and some good company. This activity is great fun whether you are with kids or not. I promise you will have a BLAST !! The starting point is at the base of the funicular in Les Avants, you need to take it up to Sonloup before sliding all the way back down. If you feel like being a little more adventurous, this run is open until 10 pm Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Adult (from 16 years old) CHF 15.-
Child (from 6 years old) CHF 7.-
Junior Card not accepted
Adult (from 16 years old) CHF 5.-
Child (from 6 years old), abo 1/2 fare CHF 2.50
Junior Card Accepted
Toboggan rental CHF 10.- at the station Les Avants
Schedule for toboggan hire
Wednesday from 1.30 pm to 9.30 pm
Friday from 16:00 to 21:30
Saturday from 9:30 to 21:30
Sunday from 9:30 to 18:30
To get to Les Avant you can take the train www.sbb.ch or you may also drive up to the funicular.