Healthy Gingerbread Men
These delicious little gingerbread men are the perfect addition to the festive season. The base is light and crumbly in texture and contains no refined sugar or gluten. I used icing sugar, water and vanilla extract to decorate my biscuits with but you can decide how you wish to do yours.
Make approx: 18 biscuits
- 225g of gluten free cake flour
- 100 g cold butter
- 50 g organic date syrup
- 50g of coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Over a medium heat place the date syrup, coconut sugar, and spices in a pot and let it all heat up for a couple of minutes until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Take the pot off the stove.
- Add the butter to the hot sugar mixture. Stir until the butter has melted. Please make sure that the butter is very cold so that you can add the eggs straight intot he mix afterwards
- Add eggs and baking soda and combine the ingredients.
- Mix in the flour.
- Put the dough to one side and let it cool to room temperature, then place in a fridge for overnight or for a couple of hours.
- Roll the dough to 2-3 mm thin and cut shapes with cookies cutters.
- Bake at 200 °C for about 5 minutes.
If you wish to decorate your biscuits with a white icing sugar glaze then simply add icing sugar to a bowl with a tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of vanilla extract and keep mixing until it forms a thick enough paste. Add the icing to a piping bag and enjoy decorating your biscuits !!