Who doesn’t love bagels ? Cinnamon and raisin, onion, poppy seed, blueberry…Living in Switzerland, however, makes it practically impossible to go into a shop and buy an endless selection of delicious bagels. This is why I decided to give it a go, I mean how hard can it really be?? The answer is, not that difficult at all !!
Makes approx 4-5 bagels
For the bagels:
- 250 g of wholewheat bread flour
- 20 g of yeast
- 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar (or regular sugar, malt syrup etc)
- 2 tablespoons of himalayan salt
- 300 ml of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of bicarbonate soda
- 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Dried herbs
- Onion pieces
- Poppy seeds
- Dried fruit
- Sesame seeds
- Put the yeast + 1 tbsp of sugar + 100 ml of warm water in a bowl and let it sit for 10 mins.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, the salt and rest of the sugar and then add the yeast.
- Add some of the warm water and starting mixing the dough. Keep mixing with your hands until your can form a ball.
- Remove the ball of dough from the bowl and place on a floured surface.
- Knead the dough for about 10-15 mins or until the ball is smooth and feels elastic.
- Place the dough back into the bowl, and cover it with a damp towel. Place the bowl in a warm place for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Take the dough and divide it into 4-5 smaller pieces. There are two ways to make the shape: either you roll each piece into a smooth ball and carefully create a hole in the middle. Or you roll each piece into a sausage shape and bring the two ends together and stick them together.
- Once you have made your bagels, place them on a greased lined baking tray and cover them in cling film. Let them sit for about 30 mins.
- Heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Take out a saucepan and fill it halfway with water, place it on a medium heat.
- Once it is bubbling away, put in the bicarbonate of soda, the sugar and the salt.
- Take each bagel and place it delicately into the simmering water for two minutes and then flip them over for a further minute. Remove the bagel and repeat for all of them.
- Place all the bagels back onto the greased lined baking tray and add your toppings.
- Bake the bagels for 20-25 minutes or until they are nicely browned. If you wish, turn the bagels over 15 mins in to brown both sides.
Enjoy them warm!!